My son and I love having tater tots in the morning. Tatertot casserole or Hotdish recipe caught my attention as I was browsing the internet. Here is an adapted recipe of AllergyFriendly TaterTot Casserole.
Making AllergyFriendly TaterTot Casserole Vegan
In traditional casserTraditionally, casseroles are made with ground meat, but since January is also Veganuary, I thought why not make it vegan? You can add the meat if you wish.
Dairy Free TaterTot Casserole
Many recipes use canned cream of mushroom soup for the filling, but I made my own version from scratch to give it the creamy texture. To make the alternate sauce, I used dairy free milk, butter, and gluten free flour to thicken it.
The recipe also calls for cheese, but I’ve used dairy free cheddar instead. Another dairy ingredient used in the recipe is sour cream, you can use dairy free sour cream or just simply leave it out.
Hotdish is what you call a casserole, it is popular in the US midwest. The recipe usually consists of meat, starch, and vegetables, all cooked in one pan.
Allergens in the AllergyFriendly TaterTot Casserole
This recipe DOES contain two allergens as follows:
- Soy Sauce: if you are allergic to soy you can simply leave out the soy sauce and adjust the salt to your liking in the recipe.
- Corn: use any other vegetable you like.
Layering the dish
The trick to making crispy tater tots is to layer the cheese in between the vegetable mixture and the tater tots, to prevent them from turning mushy.
The second trick is to bake the tater tots at least 40 minutes, to make them crispy. If you have the ‘roast’ setting in your oven then cook the casserole using that setting.
Cooking the Casserole
The classic version of the recipe is prepared in an oven-safe skillet, on the stovetop then the skillet is transferred to an oven to finish off the cooking. Since I do not have a skillet that’s oven-safe, what I did was transfer the contents into a baking dish to place in the oven.
- You can add the meat to the recipe
- Use different vegetables
- Use vegan ground meat to keep it vegan.
AllergyFriendly TaterTot CasseroleCourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
AllergyFriendly TaterTot Casserole (Hotdish) is dairy free and vegan recipe inspired by the traditional tater tot casserole recipe.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 large onion
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
1 cup frozen or fresh corn
1 carrot, diced
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
1/4 cup soy sauce (see notes)
1 tablespoon hot sauce
2 cups dairy free milk
1/4 cup dairy free sour cream
salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon thyme
2 lbs. frozen tator tots
dairy free cheddar, shredded, as required
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the dairy free butter in a skillet. Once butter is melted, add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook until the onions are transparent and the mushrooms are nicely softened, about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Then add rest of the vegetables and cook for a minute
- Now slide everything in the skillet to one side. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to other side of the skillet. When the butter is melted, sprinkle the gluten free flour over the butter, whisking all the while. Cook for a couple of minutes, until the mixture, is bubbling and slightly browned.
- Add soy sauce, hot sauce, salt, and pepper to the pan. Whisk and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the dairy free milk while you whisk and scrape the bottom of the skillet. Once this mixture is smoothed out, bring the mushroom mixture into the milk mixture. Stir to incorporate. Cook until thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Then stir in dairy free sour cream, plus parsley and thyme.
- Now trasfer the mixture into a baking dish, then layer with dairy free cheese and top with frozen tater tots.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 350F, until the tater tots are golden brown.
- SOY SAUCE: Leave it out if you cannot have soy
- CORN: Substitute with another vegetable
- SOUR CREAM: if you cannot find dairy free sour cream either leave it out or use more dairy free cream instead
8 servings per container
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 5g 25%
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 6g 12%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.